Virus and Worms are the malicious programs, which enters our computers through CD’s, Pen drives, email attachments and the files we download from the Internet. Both have some similarities and dissimilarities between them. One of the major differences is that Worms do not require any human action to replicate while Viruses replicates as soon as the user runs the infected file.
Content: Virus Vs Worms
|Basis for Comparison||Virus||Worms|
|Meaning||The Virus attaches itself to executable files and transfers from one system to the other.||A Worm is a malicious program that replicates itself and can spread to different computers via Network.|
|Human Action||Needed||Not Required|
|Speed of Spreading||Slower as compared to Worm||Fast|
|Removing Malware||Antivirus, formatting||Virus removal tool, formatting|
|Protect the System using||Antivirus software||Antivirus, firewall|
Definition Of Virus
A virus is a software program that can replicate itself, and can enter the system through pen drives, disk drives, email attachments as well as downloaded files. It tends to harm the system by various means such as:
- Using the disk space,
- Completely erasing the hard disk drive,
- Modifying personal data, text files,
- And can even bring the computer to a halt.
A virus requires a host, to attach and spread throughout the system. It can link itself to the executable files of a computer and gets transferred to another via email. All Viruses are Man-Made and aims to harm the target computer.
Definition Of Worms
Worms are self-replicating files that reside in the memory of an infected computer. It often disguises itself as system files to avoid detection. It is similar to a Virus by design and a sub-class of it. It spreads through one computer to another via email, network, etc. Worms can transfer itself from one computer to another by using the user’s email address book. It may cause the system resources to slow down or completely halt the task.
Key Difference Between Virus And Worms
- Worms use Computer Networks to spread itself while Viruses spread to different systems through executable files.
- Spreading speed of a Worm is faster than a Virus.
- The virus tends to damage, destroy or alter the files of target computers, whereas, Worms does not modify any file but aims to harm the resources.
- The virus needs human action to replicate, whereas, Worms don’t.
- Worms are independent files that exist within the memory of an infected computer, whereas, Virus are executable files or attach themselves to other executable files to operate.
- The Virus needs hosts to spread while Worms do not require any host.
- Virus corrupts or modifies the data on the target computer, whereas, Worms harm the network by consuming the bandwidth, deleting files or sending emails.
Worms and Virus both are malware programs that replicate themselves and aims to harm the network or the Internet. To prevent the system from any malicious program, one should have an updated Antivirus software or Firewall installed.