The “Antivirus” and “Internet Security” are the software that protects the user from malicious programs by blocking and removing them. There are some similarities and dissimilarities between them. One of the major differences is that Antivirus protects the computer from viruses whereas, Internet Security provides protection from spyware, viruses, phishing, spam, and email attachments.
Content: Antivirus Vs Internet Security
|Basis for Comparison||Antivirus||Internet Security|
|Meaning||Software that identifies and removes malicious programs from the system||Includes all the features of Antivirus and some additional features such as Firewalls, Antispyware, etc to provide complete protection to the user|
|Protection against||Viruses, Worms, and Trojan Horses||Phishing, Viruses, Spywares, Spam and email attachments|
|Cost||Free or low-cost||Costlier than Antivirus|
Definition Of Antivirus
An antivirus is a software that protects our computer from virus, worms, and Trojan horses. Antivirus software monitors the behavior of files and checks whether it is a malicious program or not.
The auto-update feature present in the Antivirus software helps to protect the computer from the new viruses as soon as they are discovered. It searches the hard-disk, and external media for virus and removes it if found. If the document turns to be malicious, it is deleted or repaired. AVG, Avast, Norton, Kaspersky are some of the antivirus software that keeps our system safe.
Definition Of Internet Security
Internet Security provides protection and privacy against viruses, phishing, spyware, email attachments and spam. It deals with all the internet based threats and protects the system from cyber attacks. It includes firewall, antivirus, parental control and email protection to protect the system from online attacks.
It protects the data that is sent over the Internet, such as credit card number, passwords, online communication, financial details, photographs and bank account details.
Key Differences Between Antivirus and Internet Security
- An antivirus is a software that can detect and remove viruses or infected files from the system while Internet Security is a suite that contains different applications aiming to protect users against threats from the Internet.
- Antivirus protects the computer from viruses, whereas, Internet Security suite protects the system from spyware, spam, phishing, computer worms, viruses, and other advanced malware.
- Internet Security is costlier as compared to Antivirus Software.
- Antivirus provides the necessary protection, whereas, Internet Security provides protection against Internet threats.
- Both warn the user about the unsafe websites, but Internet Security blocks the URLs.
- Both Antivirus and Internet Security checks the hard disk and USB Drive for virus and removes any that are found.
- They warn about unsafe sites that a user opens.
- Both have an “Auto update” feature.
- They have the ability to block and remove Virus and Spyware from your computer.
Both Antivirus and Internet Security are fast and provides protection against malicious programs. Furthermore, Internet Security is more robust as it contains all the features of Antivirus as well as some additional features to protect the system. It warns about the unsafe sites and blocks the URL too.