Most of us get confused between the terms Internet and Intranet. Although there exist a lot of disparity between them, one of the differences is that the Internet is open to all and can be accessed by everyone whereas, Intranet requires authenticated login as an organization privately owns it.
Content: Internet Vs Intranet
|Basis for Comparison||Internet||Intranet|
|Meaning||Connects different network of computers together||It is a part of Internet which is privately owned by a particular firm|
|Accessibility||Anyone can access the Internet||Accessible only by the organization members, having login details.|
|Safety||Is not as safe as compared to Intranet||Safe|
|No of Users||Unlimited||Limited|
|Information Provided||Unlimited, and can be viewed by everyone||Limited, and circulates among the members of an organization|
Definition Of Internet
The Internet is a global network that establishes a connection and provides transmission between various computers. It uses both wired and wireless mode of communication to send and receive any information such as data, audio, video, etc. Here, data travels through “fiber optic cables”, which are owned by telephone companies.
Nowadays everyone uses the Internet for acquiring information, communication, and transferring data over the network. It is a public network using which computers can connect and relay to each other. It provides an excellent source of information to the user.
Definition Of Intranet
An intranet is a part of Internet that is privately owned by an organization. It connects all the computers together and provides access to files and folders within the network. It has a firewall surrounding the system to avoid the unauthorized user from accessing the network. Only authorized users have permission to access the network.
Moreover, Intranet is used for connecting computers and transmitting data, files or documents within the firm. It is a secure way to share the details, materials, and folders as the network are highly secured and restricted within the organization. It renders various services such as email, search, data storage, etc.
Key Differences Between Internet and Intranet
- The Internet provides unlimited information which can be viewed by everyone whereas, in Intranet, data circulates within the organization.
- The Internet provides access to everyone whereas, Intranet permits authenticate users only.
- The Internet is not owned by any single or multiple organization, whereas, Intranet is a private network that belongs to a firm or an institution.
- The Internet is available to all whereas, Intranet is restricted.
- An intranet is safer as compared to the Internet.
Similarities Between Internet and Intranet
- Both Internet and Intranet can be accessed using any browser.
- They use Internet Protocols for transferring data.
- Both of them are used to share information with the users over the network.
Hence, we conclude that both Internet and Intranet have some similar aspects and dissimilarities as well. The Internet is a collection of various LAN, MAN, and WAN whereas, Intranet mostly is a LAN, MAN or WAN. An intranet is safer as compared to the Internet since the user login keeps updating at regular intervals and it confines to an organization.