The Blog and Vlog can be considered as the powerful marketing tools for corporates, companies and individual as well. Nowadays, blogging and vlogging are popular methods to earn money by writing contents or making videos. So, the major difference between blog and vlog is that blog is similar to a website where you can find the written content of some topic. On the other hand, in a vlog, the video on the particular topics are posted.
Blogging and Vlogging mainly circles around the content. There are various platforms that support blogging and vlogging, which we will discuss further in the content.
Content: Blog Vs Vlog
|Basis for comparison||Blog||Vlog|
|Basic||Includes written content||Includes videos|
|Platform||WordPress, Tumblr, Drupal, Zoomla.||Youtube, Vimeo, Dailymotion, Viddler.|
|Cost||Less expensive||Expensive due to the equipments used|
Definition of Blog
Blogging can be compared to a diary entry activity. Hence, the blog is analogous to a diary or journal. The word blog is a short form of the weblog, which was introduced in the year of 1990. However, it mainly emerged in 2003 with the launching of the web publishing tools that can be used by novice users with zero technical background.
With the development of WordPress in the year of 2003, blogging is got more popular in the internet world. The order of the content in a blog exist in some particular chronological order, where the most recent comes at the first and the earliest would be placed at the lowest position.
The various blogging platforms are WordPress, Joomla, Blogger, Tumblr, and drupal, which helps in publishing the articles in the blog. In general terms, a blog is a website or featured with a website. However, a blog can also be made using the text, graphics, like images, GIFs, videos, PDF’s, etcetera.
Types of blogs
The various types of a blog are:
- Personal Blog – The personal blogs are all about sharing the personal thoughts, opinions, experiences and ideas regarding some topics.
- Niche Blog – It only concentrates in only one topic (i.e., it specializes in some certain topic) which is capable of gaining the attention of a lot of visitors.
- Business Blog – These blogs include the branding and promotions of products and company. A company’s blog that runs a business also comes under business blogs.
- Affiliate Blogs – In these blogs, the writer is responsible for writing the reviews and how-to guide for the products and services without even owning it. In this way, the bloggers also earn money by getting the share of the product’s money if it was purchased by the customer with the help of the link provided in the video.
Definition of Vlog
Now, let’s understand what a vlog is? A vlog is an abbreviation used for video blog which surrounds around the video content. In the early days, the vlogging was known by the term podcasting, though it is a completely different term.
However, vlogging is very popular these days, and many bloggers have started doing vlogging. The term vlog has been used since 2000 but started becoming popular in the year 2004, with the advent of the youtube.
Numerous platforms can be used for posting video content and making money by doing this. Youtube, DailyMotion, Viddler, Vimeo and Facebook are platforms support vlogging.
Types of Vlog
- Music – Music channels are a large part of the youtube where the artists share their work. The most famous channels are Spotify, Vevo, T-series and BBC.
- Technology/Product review – These channels help in knowing about some product, for example, its specifications, performance, maintenance and can also include the how-to guide for the particular product. The popular channels for the technology and product reviews are what’s inside, gadget 360, etcetera.
- Gaming – Gaming channels are very prominent over the other types of channels, the reason they look very attractive and entertaining. It includes the gamers playing the game in the real-time and recording it as well, and this gives the experience to the viewer, that he or she itself playing the game.
- Comedy – Prank and comedy videos come in this category, and it also includes the stand-up comedy and comedy shows. People like to watch these because they enlighten their mood and make them laugh. SaraBeautyCorner is a famous comedy vlogger.
- Health and Fitness – These channels include the health and fitness-related videos where the tips regarding health and exercise can be given.
- Fashion – Fashion designers and stylists make these types of videos where they suggest about trendy clothes and makeup.
- Education – This category is very useful the students, as these channels are related to academic contents. It helps in solving the problems of the students. The views in these videos are generally more because of people mostly watch it more than one time.
- Lifestyle – It involves the showcasing of everyday life adventures. So, ultimately, they share their experience with the people who want to know about a certain lifestyle.
- Sport – In these vlogs, sports events can be included, such as live matches in various sports and Olympic events.
Key Differences Between Blog and Vlog
- Blog involves the written contents just like you do with a website. On the other hand, in a vlog, the content is in the form of videos. Although blogging can also cover the content in the other form such as graphics and audio, GIFs and video as well. But, this can not be done when you are doing the vlogging.
- The platforms that support blogging are WordPress, Drupal, Joomla, blogger, and so on. Conversely, the vlogging can be supported by platforms such as youtube, DailyMotion, Vimeo, Facebook, etcetera.
- A blog is older term and introduced in the year of 1990, and people started doing blogging prevalently in the year of 2003. When it comes to the vlog, it started in 2000 and then widespread in 2004.
- Vlogging is considered as more expensive as it requires various equipment like video camera, microphones and a complete setup. In contrast, blogging is not much costly as it does not need any equipment, just a computer.
- The number of visitors that visit the blog and vlog is not very concrete, but the number of blogs and websites are much larger than that of the number of channels in the video platforms.
The blogging and vlogging both can be used for earning money by posting good contents. However, in the blog, we post the written content while in the case of a vlog, we post the video content, and that is the most fundamental difference between them.