The common difference between Applet and Application is that application starts its execution through main() method conversely an applet doesn’t use method main() instead it initialize through init().
Applets are small programs generally written to be transmitted across the internet and automatically executed by java compatible web browser. And applications are stand-alone programs written for performing general operations by the user directly, and it doesn’t need any JAVA enabled APIs’ (browsers).
Applets are not affected by the users operating system or hardware. If the browser has the proper JVM installed then these applets run with the help of JVM. While the look and feel of the application on the various operating system remain the same.
Content: Applet Vs Application
|Basis for comparison
|It is small program uses another application program for its execution.
|An application is the programs executed on the computer independently.
|Do not use the main method
|Uses the main method for execution
|Cannot run independently require API's (Ex. Web API).
|Can run alone but require JRE.
|Prior installation is not needed
|Requires prior explicit installation on the local computer.
|Read and write operation
|The files cannot be read and write on the local computer through applet.
|Applications are capable of performing those operations to the files on the local computer.
|Communication with other servers
|Cannot communicate with other servers.
|Communication with other servers is probably possible.
|Applets cannot access files residing on the local computer.
|Can access any data or file available on the system.
|Requires security for the system as they are untrusted.
|No security concerns are there.
Definition of Applet
Applets are small programs that utilize an external API for its execution and are primarily used in internet computing. They can be transferred over the Internet from one computer to another and run using the Applet Viewer or any web browser that supports Java. An applet can support several applications such as executing arithmetic operations, the creation of animation, graphics displaying, playing interactive games.
Java has transformed the manner the Internet users retrieve and use documents on the world wide network. Applets have enabled to construct and use completely interactive multimedia Web documents. A web page can include a java applet which, when executed, can generate graphics, sounds and moving images rather just containing plain text or a static image.
There are two ways an applet can integrate into web pages.
- First in which we can write our own applets and integrate them into web pages. These types of applets evolved locally and kept in a local system is known as a local applet.
- Second, we can download an applet from a remote computer system and then embed it into a web page.
These types of applets which are developed externally and stored on a remote computer to the Internet are known as a remote applet.
Definition of Application
An Application is a program which runs on an underlying operating system. These are generic in a sense and designed to perform a specific task directly for the user. The application can run with or without GUI.
The application programs like spreadsheets, word processors, web browsers and compilers – describe the manners in which computer resources are utilized to resolve users’ computing issues. There are no security concerns while using an application; its cause is that applications are trustworthy.
Key Differences Between Applet and Application
Lets understand the difference between applet and application through the given points:
- Applets are not entirely featured application programs and are usually written to achieve a small task or part of it. On the other hand, an Application is a program which runs on an underlying operating system. These are generic in a sense and designed to perform a specific task directly for the user.
- An applet does not use the main() method. Instead, it automatically calls defined methods after loading, for Applet class to start and execute the applet code. On the contrary, Application uses main() method for initiating the execution of the code.
- Dissimilar to the stand-alone application, the independent execution of an applet is not possible. They are run from inside a web page using a special feature known as HTML tag.
- Applets cannot write to and read from the files in the local computer. While Application can perform such operation to the files in the local computer.
- Prior installation is not required in an applet. As against, Prior explicit installation is necessarily needed while using an Application.
- Constraints are imposed on applets for using libraries from other languages and also local files. Whereas Application can access libraries as well as local files.
- An application can run several programs from the local computer. In contrast, Applets can not do so.
Applets and Applications in the context of JAVA (programming language) are considered as programs although their usage and execution are different. Both have their specific importance according to the usage.