We know that monitor and television are used for performing similar functions. Besides, there are several differences between them. The significant differences between the monitor and television is that television is built by merging the video monitor, RF tuner and audio speaker features. On the contrary, a monitor does not need RF tuner and audio speakers.
Furthermore, the most important difference between monitor and television would lie in its size. Usually, the modern monitors and televisions are available in a larger as compared to conventional technologies, but the televisions are launching in more larger size relative to monitors.
Content: Monitor Vs Television
|Basis for comparison||Monitor||Television|
|Curved screens||Impossible to make it.||Available|
|Number of input jacks||More||Less|
|Viewing angle||110||160 more or less|
|Image quality||Sharp and accurate||More appealing and smoother|
Definition of Monitor
A monitor is a device which we commonly use with other hardware of a computer such as a video card to display the video and graphics information produced by it. Monitors are no less than television, but the resolution of the monitors is greater. These are usually placed over the desk rather than hanging on the walls.
Earlier, these monitors were made with the help of a picture tube (cathode ray tube) that renders the video image. These images could be represented in colours or monochrome (black and white). The fundamental picture controls provided to the monitors are horizontal, vertical, contrast, sharpness, brightness, etcetera. The primary intent behind the designing of the monitors was to deliver accuracy and stable image.
Features of a monitor
- Size – The available computers monitors are not very much larger in size. As these are operated from a specific distance, it would become so inconvenient if your monitor size is too big and another reason is the resolution. However, in gaming, the large size monitors can be used because it gives effect as the observer is moving from its place.
- Resolution – When the size of the monitor screen increases its resolution decreases. Resolution can be understood as the sharpness, where the fundamental picture element pixel are smaller in size and located close to each other; the resolution is high. Hence, if pixel size increases the images could look grainy and distorted.
- Refresh rate and frame rate – The refresh rate of the monitors is good because we need a good input response in the monitors.
- Input lag – Due to the high response rate, there is a negligible input lag present in the monitors.
- Image quality – The images produced in the computer monitors is more realistic and sharp.
- Viewing angle – The viewing angle of computer monitors is 110 degrees approximately.
Definition of Television
Similar to monitors, the televisions are also used as the electronic device for viewing the video content. Nowadays, these televisions are manufactured in magnificent sizes and as size increases the cost of the TV also increases. To make a television, the radio frequency tuner and the audio speaker is added to the monitor, and then the resulting appliance would be a television.
The purpose of the radio frequency tuner is to receive the television signals from any of the methods such as through cable TV system, broadcasting, or satellite-dish system. These radio frequency signals are comprised of both audio and video signal; the audio signal is supplied to a picture tube for displaying it while audio is sent to the speaker. To select a channel from the various channels, the tuner is adjusted (for the conventional TV’s).
However, these days the television or monitors are merged in the single device, which can be used either as the television or a monitor with the computer system. Earlier, it was not possible to merge them as both the devices process different signals such as monitors were able to process video signals while the television could process only the Radio Frequency signals.
How is a Video signal different from the RF signal?
There are various factors, on the basis of which these signals can be differentiated as described below.
- Power – The power of the Radio frequency signal is much higher than that of the video signal.
- Cable requirements – The RF signal strength is very high; this is the reason it needs heavy-duty insulated cable such as coaxial cable. Although, the common shielded cable can be used to transfer video signal.
- Content – RF signal includes both audio and video content, whereas the video signal has just a video portion.
- Originated from – The transmitters at television stations generate RF signal, which can also be modulated by VCRs and satellite-dish systems. In order to produce video signals, video cameras, computers, video disc players, video mixers can be used.
Features of Television
- Size – Televisions are available in all sizes, but the large size TV’s attract more customers as visibility of larger TV’s is good and covers a larger area and wider angle.
- Resolution – The resolution fo Televisions is less due to its size. The 4K and 8K television will have a good resolution, but when we compare them with the 4K and 8K monitors whose size is smaller than 4K and 8K TV, then the resolution of monitors must be better than the televisions.
- Refresh rate and frame rate – We know that the televisions have lower refresh rates and frame rate. Usually, televisions with higher refresh rates are used for just interpolation.
- Input lag – The televisions provide low input latency and response time.
- Image quality – As the televisions are intended to provide a better viewing experience. Therefore, the images produced in television are more appealing.
- Viewing angle – Televisions provide a wider angle to watch it, and one can watch television from any angle in the range of 160 degrees.
Key Differences Between Monitor and Television
- Among monitor and television, the size of the televisions manufacturing at present is greater than the monitor.
- Television comes with the curved screes also such as OLED and QLED, but this is not possible in case of Monitors.
- The number of input jacks in monitors is greater than that of the televisions.
- Both, a monitor and television can provide high-end image and video and up to 8K display, but due to smaller size, the monitors have better resolution.
- The refresh rate of monitors is high. In contrast, television works at a lower refresh rate. Due to this reason, the input lag in television is more as compared to computer monitors.
- The viewing angle of television (i.e., 160°) is much wider than that of a monitor which provides at maximum 110° degrees of the viewing angle.
Conventionally, the monitors and television were totally different gadgets, but nowadays the display devices are also available which have features of both a monitor and a television. However, for the intended application, we can go for either of the devices. For example, if size, contrast, cinematic look, smooth pictures matters, you can opt for television but if colour accuracy, speed and interactive control is important, then a monitor is an appropriate option for you.