HTML and CSS are the core web scripting languages, the primary use of which is to create webpages and web application. The crucial difference between the two is that HTML is used for the creation of the webpages and CSS is used to control the styling and layout of web pages.
In HTML, firstly you write words then add elements or tags to it, which thereafter appear on your page. Through this way, the browser gets to know the heading of the page, beginning and ending of the paragraph, and so on.
In CSS, rules are used by utilising CSS properties. CSS properties are broadly classified into two broad categories. First is the presentation which specifies the colour of the text, font type, font size, background colours, background images, etc. Second is layout defines the position of the different elements on the screen.
Using both HTML and CSS, a complete webpage interface is made.
Content: HTML Vs CSS
|Basis for comparison||HTML||CSS|
|Basic||Dictates content and structure of the web pages.||Modifies the design and display of the HTML elements.|
|Relevance||CSS can be used in HTML files.||HTML can not be used in CSS style sheets.|
|Consist of||Tags surrounding content.||Selectors followed by a declaration block.|
|Methods of using||There are no defined methods.||Inline CSS code, Internal and external stylesheet any method could be used for implementing the code.|
Definition of HTML
HTML is a markup language for describing web documents(web pages). HTML stands for Hyper Text Markup language, it adds “markups” to Standard English text. “Hyper text” refers to the links – Hyper links – that connect webpages to one another.
A markup language is a set of markup tags which define the page structure. Each HTML tag describes different document content. HTML is evolving language which changes frequently, and a revised set of standards and specifications are brought allowing easier creation of prettier and more effective sites.
HTML is not case sensitive.
- HTML tags are keywords (tag names) surrounded by angle brackets and normally come in a pairs.
<tagname> content </tagname>
- HTML element describes a specific section on a webpage.
- Content are the texts, links, images, or other information displayed on your webpage.
- Start tag is an HTML element used to indicate the beginning of the element.
- End tag closes the HTML element to differentiate individual elements.
Definition of CSS
CSS is an acronym for Cascading Style Sheets which permits you to create rules that specify the representation of the HTML elements on a screen. It is an addition to basic HTML that enables styling to your webpages.
CSS saves a lot of work by controlling the layout of multiple webpages all at one time.
To use CSS styles to your website, one can use three different ways: inline, internal and external stylesheets.
- CSS declarations rest inside curly brackets, and each is made up of two parts: property and its value, separated by a colon.You can specify several properties in one declaration, each separated by a semi-colon.
- Selectors indicate which HTML element you want to style.
- Declaration contains property and value separated by a colon. Additionally, curly braces enclosing all declarations is known as Declaration block.
- Properties indicate the aspects of elements you want to change.
- Values specify the settings you want to apply in the chosen properties.
Key Differences Between HTML and CSS
- HTML is the basic markup language which describes the content and structure of the webpages. On the other hand, CSS is the extension to the HTML which modifies the design and display of the webpages.
- HTML file can contain CSS code while CSS stylesheets can never contain HTML code in it.
- HTML comprises of tags surrounding content. Whereas CSS consists of selectors followed by a declaration block.
- Simple to use and have loose syntax (although, being too flexible will not abide by with standards).
- Widely used, established on nearly every website and supported by every browser.
- Analogous to XML syntax, which used to an increasing extent for data storage.
- It is free as you need not buy any software.
- Easy to learn and code even to beginners.
Advantages of CSS
- CSS conserves your time by writing CSS one time and reusing the same sheet in several pages.
- Pages consume less time for loading due to less the code.
- Easy to maintain, global changes are easy to employ.
- CSS has better styles to HTML and a much broader array of attributes.
- Provision of multiple device compatibility.
- Now HTML attributes are being deprecated, and it is being recommended to use CSS in all the HTML pages to make them compatible with future browsers.
- Supports offline browsing with the help of an offline cache.
- The script gives consistent platform independence and can support latest browsers as well.
Disadvantages of HTML
- As it is a static language, It cannot generate dynamic output.
- Offers limited security features.
Disadvantages of CSS
Fragmentation – CSS renders different dimensions with each browser. Programmers should consider and test all code across multiple browsers before taking any website, or mobile application live so that no compatibility issues would arise.
HTML and CSS both client side web scripting languages are used for creating web pages. Although they differ in many ways like syntactical structure, implementing methods, ease of use and features like attributes supported by the language.
However, CSS is replacing HTML since it offers more features and flexibility.