SQL is a standard that has been adopted by ANSI in 1986. It has been used as a base by many RDBMS (relational database management system) vendors. Both T_SQL and PL-SQL are relational database management system and are an extension to the Structured Query Language. The difference that separates T-SQL from PL-SQL is their proprietary. T-SQL is a Microsoft product whereas, the PL-SQL is a product of Oracle. In this article, I have tried to explain some more differences between T-SQL and PL-SQL with the help of a comparison chart.
Content: T-SQL Vs PL-SQL
|Basis for Comparison||T-SQL||PL-SQL|
|Product||T-SQL is a product of Microsoft.||PL-SQL is a product of Oracle.|
|Full Form||Transact-Structured Query Language||Procedural Language-Structured Query Language.
|Feature||Offers a great degree of control on how an application works.||Integrates well with the SQL.|
|Server||T-SQL performs best with Microsoft SQL server.||PL-SQL server performs best with Oracle database server.|
Definition of T-SQL (Transact – SQL)
Transact-SQL is a product Microsoft, and it is an extension to SQL. T-SQL is entirely a database programming language which has variables, functions, data definition, data manipulation statements, loops conditional statements and procedures.
T-SQL also features function for string operation, mathematical operations, date and time processing, error checking. This kind of add-ons makes T-SQL turing complete, which means this computing language is universally accepted.
T-SQL performs best when used with Microsoft SQL servers as it is a Microsoft proprietary.
Definition of PL-SQL (Procedural Language – SQL)
PL-SQL is a Procedural extension to Structured Query Language Which was developed by Oracle Corporation in early 90’s for its own database management. As PL-SQL is an extension to SQL, that means the SQL statements are embedded in procedural language statements.
PL-SQL is a block structured language; it executes the block of code at a time. PL-SQL being procedural extension allows declaring variables, constants, functions, loops, procedures, packages, etc. Like procedural language, it also features error handling. These features make PL-SQL turing complete which means like T-SQL, PL-SQL is also universally accepted.
With the help of PL-SQL, you can create applications, server pages that would display the information, obtained by the SQL statements in the code of PL-SQL.
Key Differences Between T-SQL and PL-SQL
- The basic difference between T-SQL and PL-SQL is that T-SQL is a Microsoft product whereas, PL-SQL is an Oracle product.
- The full form of T-SQL is Transact-SQL whereas, the full form of PL-SQL is Procedural Language SQL.
- T-SQL focuses on the degree of control on how an application works whereas, the PL-SQL is a natural programming language that blends well with the SQL.
- You can not convert the code of T-SQL to PL-SQL as they have different features, syntax, they differ in a way how they handle their variables, stored procedures, and built-in function.
- T-SQL performs best with Microsoft SQL server whereas,the PL-SQL performs best with Oracle database server.
- T-SQL is simpler and easier whereas, PL-SQL is complex, but it is potentially more powerful.
Both are the Relational Database Management Systems and use SQL as their standard language. Neither of them can be preferred over the other. It is up to the user which language to choose.